About the avenue
The Avenue for the Arts is a neighborhood title for the South Division commercial corridor. We are residential, commercial and nonprofit groups working together in a creative community. We are residents in Heartside, and active participants in shaping change in our neighborhood. In 2005, we choose the Avenue for the Arts as a title to represent our commercial corridor and the projects and events that we create.
The Avenue for the Arts has been recognized as a center for arts and culture in Grand Rapids
- 2004 Cool Cities Designation by the State of Michigan
- 2006 Historic Preservation Outstanding Preservation Project
- 2007 Michigan Historic Preservation Network Tax Credit Award
- 2007 Governor’s Award for Exemplary Business supporting the Arts Award
- 2009 Neighborhood Business Alliance Award for Best Neighborhood Promotion